Good Mattress Care for Every Type of Bed
You’ve bought the mattress of your dreams. Now how can you get the most out of it? Taking care of your mattress will optimize its effectiveness over the course of its lifespan, which can range from 5 – 7 years. Here are some general rules for good mattress care.
Read the instructions.
That mattress tag people always debate about leaving on or removing. Not only is it needed for your warranty, but it also has the mattress care instructions. Whatever you do, don’t throw the mattress tag away.
Leave it alone.
When you first set up your mattress, it’s a good idea to give it some time to breathe, so it can lose some of its ‘fresh off the assembly line’ smell. No need to use any chemical fresheners or cleaners to cover it up – it will go away on its own, and these chemicals are not good for your mattress anyway.
Buy a mattress pad.
This is the best way to protect your mattress from humidity and perspiration, and keep it clean from potential stains. It is recommended to purchase a zippered dust mite allergy proof mattress cover to keep out dust mites and other allergens. Aside from the mattress, it is your next best investment.
Rotate and/or flip your mattress.
To break in your bed correctly, you will have to rotate it every two weeks for the first three months, and then once every two months after that so that you prevent the mattress from becoming lumpy. Some mattresses don’t need rotating or flipping, so double check when you buy it.
Whatever you do, don’t overdo it.
It’s a bed – somewhere to sleep. Not a stage for American Gladiators. You can do damage to the mattress by putting it under undue stress, so be gentle to it, and it will be gentle to you for years to come.
How Long Does A Good Mattress Last?
Whenever you buy a mattress, you should always look at how long the warranty is for the particular type and model you are considering. This will give you an accurate idea of how long the mattress will last. Through proper care, following recommended handling instructions, and not abusing the mattress, you will most likely see your mattress through to – or past – its intended lifespan, while it returns the favor by giving you years of comfortable, restful sleep.
A typical innerspring mattress from manufacturers like Sealy, Simmons, Serta, and King Koil has an average lifespan of anywhere from 5 to 7 years. As the core is comprised of coil, it does lose is springiness after years of use. Sealy, Simmons and Serta also offer memory foam and latex mattresses that have 20-year warranties – memory foam specialists like Tempur-Pedic also match these impressive warranties. Air beds – like Sleep Number beds – have also come a long way, and their renewable air chambers have pushed their warranties to up to 20 years as well.
But it’s not an exact science. For whatever reason, a mattress may fall a bit short of the warranty, or go well beyond. Sometimes, a change in lifestyle will mean that a particular mattress is just not giving you the comfort and support you need anymore. The life span and warranty are reasons to rejoice in the high quality mattress you invested in, not to endure because you feel like you should get all the years out of it you can. If you begin to feel the signs of discomfort or poor sleep, contact the manufacturer, or see if you need to switch to a different type of mattress.
- TL Care Natural Waterproof Quilted Pack and Play Size Fitted Mattress Cover Made with Organic Cotton
- Measures 27" X 39" X 4"
- Fits up to 2 inch thick mattress. Free from harmful chemicals; no dyes
- Elastic all around for a snug and secure fit
- Protect mattress from soiling
- 100% Cotton
- Measures 18 inch x 36 inch x 4 inch
- 4" deep pockets for a snug and secure fit
- Hand Made. Product size may vary by one or two inches.Do not bleach
- Face:100% Cotton; Middle:100% breathable Polyester; Back: waterproof breathable polyester
- measures 24 inch x 38 inch x 5 inch
- Fits up to 3 inch thick standard size portable/mini crib mattresses
- The 5 inch deep pockets with elastic all around provides a snug and secure fit on the mattress
- Shojai, Amy (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 348 Pages - 08/20/2018 (Publication Date) - Furry Muse Publications (Publisher)
- ♕ Bamboo mattress protector ---- Fitted cover style design with elastic all around.Queen size bamboo mattress protector measures 60''x80'' and fits up to 17" Deep.
- ♕ Soft and comfortable ---- Natural bamboo jacquard fabric which is made from 30% bamboo viscose(surface),70% polyester.This soft,smooth and noiseless fabric will keep you healthy and safety when sleep.
- ♕ Waterproof and Breathable ---- TPU membrane is laminated on the back of the jacquard bamboo fabric.TPU membrane allows air to circulate,but repels Liquids.This bamboo mattress protector can shield your mattress from perspiration,bed wetting,liquids and stains.
- ♕ OEKO-TEX CERTIFIED ---- Oeko-Tex Standard 100 factory certification ensures that the fabric meets the safety and environmental standards.
- ♕ Easy care ---- Machine wash warm at gentle cycle,tumble dry at low heat only,remove promptly from dryer and lay flat,do not iron,do not bleach,do not dry clean.
- 100% Cotton Jersey. Measures 27 inch x 39 inch x 4 inch
- SOFT. Our Jersey Playard sheets offer a warm, tee shirt like feel for exceptional comfort. The 100% cotton jersey is moisture wicking and breathable.
- Fits up to 3 inch thick Pack N Play mattress
- 4" deep pockets with elastic in the corners for a snug and secure fit
- Machine wash cold with gentle cycle, tumble dry low for best results
- Dave McBee (Director) - Dave McBee (Writer) - McBee Products (Producer)
- 100% Cotton Jersey. Measures 28 inch x 52 inch x 9 inch.
- SOFT. Our Jersey Knit Crib sheets offer a warm, tee shirt like feel for exceptional comfort. The 100% cotton jersey is moisture wicking and breathable.
- Fits up to 6 inch thick standard crib mattresses
- 9" deep pockets with elastic all around for a snug and secure fit