Good Mattress Care for Every Type of Bed
You’ve bought the mattress of your dreams. Now how can you get the most out of it? Taking care of your mattress will optimize its effectiveness over the course of its lifespan, which can range from 5 – 7 years. Here are some general rules for good mattress care.
Read the instructions.
That mattress tag people always debate about leaving on or removing. Not only is it needed for your warranty, but it also has the mattress care instructions. Whatever you do, don’t throw the mattress tag away.
Leave it alone.
When you first set up your mattress, it’s a good idea to give it some time to breathe, so it can lose some of its ‘fresh off the assembly line’ smell. No need to use any chemical fresheners or cleaners to cover it up – it will go away on its own, and these chemicals are not good for your mattress anyway.
Buy a mattress pad.
This is the best way to protect your mattress from humidity and perspiration, and keep it clean from potential stains. It is recommended to purchase a zippered dust mite allergy proof mattress cover to keep out dust mites and other allergens. Aside from the mattress, it is your next best investment.
Rotate and/or flip your mattress.
To break in your bed correctly, you will have to rotate it every two weeks for the first three months, and then once every two months after that so that you prevent the mattress from becoming lumpy. Some mattresses don’t need rotating or flipping, so double check when you buy it.
Whatever you do, don’t overdo it.
It’s a bed – somewhere to sleep. Not a stage for American Gladiators. You can do damage to the mattress by putting it under undue stress, so be gentle to it, and it will be gentle to you for years to come.
How Long Does A Good Mattress Last?
Whenever you buy a mattress, you should always look at how long the warranty is for the particular type and model you are considering. This will give you an accurate idea of how long the mattress will last. Through proper care, following recommended handling instructions, and not abusing the mattress, you will most likely see your mattress through to – or past – its intended lifespan, while it returns the favor by giving you years of comfortable, restful sleep.
A typical innerspring mattress from manufacturers like Sealy, Simmons, Serta, and King Koil has an average lifespan of anywhere from 5 to 7 years. As the core is comprised of coil, it does lose is springiness after years of use. Sealy, Simmons and Serta also offer memory foam and latex mattresses that have 20-year warranties – memory foam specialists like Tempur-Pedic also match these impressive warranties. Air beds – like Sleep Number beds – have also come a long way, and their renewable air chambers have pushed their warranties to up to 20 years as well.
But it’s not an exact science. For whatever reason, a mattress may fall a bit short of the warranty, or go well beyond. Sometimes, a change in lifestyle will mean that a particular mattress is just not giving you the comfort and support you need anymore. The life span and warranty are reasons to rejoice in the high quality mattress you invested in, not to endure because you feel like you should get all the years out of it you can. If you begin to feel the signs of discomfort or poor sleep, contact the manufacturer, or see if you need to switch to a different type of mattress.
- TL Care Natural Waterproof Quilted Pack and Play Size Fitted Mattress Cover Made with Organic Cotton
- Measures 27" X 39" X 4"
- Fits up to 2 inch thick mattress. Free from harmful chemicals; no dyes
- Elastic all around for a snug and secure fit
- Protect mattress from soiling
- Face:100% Cotton; Middle:100% breathable Polyester; Back: waterproof breathable polyester
- measures 24 inch x 38 inch x 5 inch
- Fits up to 3 inch thick standard size portable/mini crib mattresses
- The 5 inch deep pockets with elastic all around provides a snug and secure fit on the mattress
- 100% Cotton Jersey
- Measures 27 inch x 39 inch x 4 inch
- Fits up to 3 inch thick Pack N Play mattress
- 4" deep pockets with elastic in the corners for a snug and secure fit
- Machine wash cold with gentle cycle , tumble dry low for best results
- 100% Cotton Jersey
- Measures 28 inch x 52 inch x 9 inch
- Fits up to 6 inch thick standard crib mattresses
- 9" deep pockets with elastic all around for a snug and secure fit
- Top layer made with Organic Cotton interlock; Middle layer/Back layer made with waterproof breathable polyester
- Measures 28" X 52" X 9". Fits up to 6" thick Mattress with elastic all around for a snug and secure fit.
- QUIET. Extra soft materials eliminate noisy "crinkling" sounds.
- SOFT PROTECTION: Our Waterproof pads not only protect the mattress, they offer soft quilted cushion for added comfort.
- EASY CLEANUP: Our Pads make for an easy way to clean up after that occasional night time accident. Just pull them off, and throw them in the wash. Machine washable and dryable
- MATTRESS ENCASEMENT - Fits Twin XL size mattress perfectly with dimensions 39 inches by 80 inches; 13 inches deep pocket
- KNITTED POLYESTER FABRIC - Stretchable knitted polyester fabric fits the mattress easily and gives a comfortable feel while you sleep
- ZIPPERED COVER - Zippered cover with zip secures the mattress from 360 degrees; it protects the mattress
- 100% WATERPROOF PROTECTION - Mattress encasement protects your mattress from unwelcome spills and keeps your mattress clean and safe. High quality TPU backing on all sides resist any leakage into the mattress.
- EASY CARE - Machine washable; tumble dry for easy maintenance; Note: Packaging might slightly vary
- Multipurpose: perfect for baby, toddler, elderly parents, women or even= pets. Use it when potty training, for child bed wetting or as an incontinence aid for adults. No matter you are at home or on-the go, put it on a bed, a chair, a sofa or on your lap.
- Top and back layer made with soft 100% Polyester material; middle Waterproof/breathable layer
- Measures 28 inch x 52 inch, designed to fit standard crib and toddler bed mattresses
- Quiet: Extra soft materials eliminate noisy "crinkling" Sounds.
- Easy CLEANUP: Our Pads make for an easy way to clean up after that occasional night time accident. Just pull them off, and throw them in the wash. Machine washable and dryable: machine wash cold and tumble dry low for best results
- Feel the Difference - Sleep better and wake up each morning feeling refreshed and full of energy. Silky soft, most comfortable and luxurious bed sheets you can find. Best for any room in your house - bedroom, guest room, kids room, RV, vacation home. Great gift idea for men and women, Moms and Dads, Valentine's - Mother's - Father's Day and Christmas
- King Size Luxury 4pc Bed Sheets Set - 1 flat sheet 102"x105", 1 fitted sheet 78" x 80", 2 pillowcases 20"x40". Deep pocket fitted sheet with elastic all around (not just the corners, like other sheets). Fits mattresses up to 16"
- Easy Care - Fade, stain, shrink and wrinkle resistant. Machine wash in cold. Dries quick on tumble dry low. More durable than cotton
- Highest Quality Brushed Microfiber - Made of the highest quality microfiber and workmanship so you know it Lasts! Fabulous selection of colors will make your bedroom look like it belongs in a magazine
- Mellanni Lifetime Promise - Mellanni is a different kind of company that prides itself on providing the absolute best customer service in the industry. If you are not satisfied with your purchase at any point and for any reason, you can return it with no questions asked. That's the Mellanni Promise (in fact, you don't even have to send back the product)
- USA MADE – Designed and manufactured in the USA with eco-friendly CertiPUR-US foam, a US based program that ensures the content of foam only uses approved eco-friendly formulations. For more information visit CertiPUR-US official website.
- COMFORT & SUPPORT – Multi-layered, multi-density for optimal comfort and postural support. Cool Gel Memory foam with pressure redistribution evenly distributes body weight, infused liquid gel wicks heat away from body for a cooler sleep experience. Includes FirmEdge passive restraint system which provides support on both sides of the mattress and medium-firm core to promote comfort throughout the mattress.
- MEDICAL GRADE FABRICS – Nymed healthcare grade nylon top cover, soft-supple feel offers exceptional comfort. Vynmed healthcare vinyl cover is designed for patient comfort and clinical efficacy: Low friction for ease of patient transfers, stain resistant, abrasion resistant, easy to clean and latex free. Meets California Technical Bulletin 117, heavy-duty zipper, fluid protection flap over the heavy-duty zipper.
- REMOVABLE COVER – Heavy duty zipper on three sides which allows for internal mattress inspection and easy replacement.
- SECONDARY FLUID BARRIER – Between foam and cover, sealed inner cover. Providing protection for foam if outer cover is compromised.
- 100% Jersey Cotton. Measures 24 inches x 38 inches
- SOFT. Our Value Jersey portable mini sheets offer a warm, tee shirt like feel for exceptional comfort
- SELECTION. Available in a variety of colors to match any style
- QUALITY. Snug fit up to 3" thick mattress and elastic all around. Machine washable and dryable
- VALUE. Quality and style at a great price